Let us indulge our obsession with oral health by talking to you about Oral Cancer, its risk factors, and sharing good information with you. At our Carrollton dental offices, we screen every adult for it at every visit.
Oral Cancer Facts
- 8,000 people in the United States die from oral cancer every year.
- If caught early, the oral cancer survival rate is between 85-90%.
- Oral Cancer risk factors are higher among these groups: People over age 45, Those who smoke or use alcohol, People with consistently high exposure to UV rays, Those who have been diagnosed with HPV, and People with poor nutrition.
How Can I Prevent it?
- Don’t start smoking or drinking. If you do smoke, quit. If you drink, drink less.
- Get at least five servings each day of fruits and vegetables.
- If you have HPV, get checked for oral cancer regularly.
- If you are 45 or older, get checked for oral cancer regularly.
- If you spend a lot of time working or playing outdoors, wear at least SPF 15 on your lips, and reapply sunscreen to your face and neck (and your whole body) frequently.
Early Detection is Key
Even people with none of the above risk factors sometimes get oral cancer. So even if you have no risk factors, make sure you get checked every year. That’s why we invite you to make an appointment with us at our Carrollton dental offices in honor of Cancer Awareness Month.
Please keep your regularly scheduled appointments at our dental offices in Carrollton. The more you see us, the better chance we have to catch any serious concerns promptly.
If you’re due for a visit, give us a call. We’d love to see you and promise to care for you in a welcoming, non-judgemental atmosphere.
Accepting patients from Carrollton, Plano, Lewisville, and surrounding areas.